Tuesday, September 3, 2013

On the Road Finally! The 2013 - 2014 Winter Trip. Days 1 - 3.

Day One – Sunday Sept. 1st 2013.

Finally on the Road - The 2013 - 2014 Winter Trip!

After a week of getting ready we finally hit the road.
One forgets even when doing this annually how much work it is!
Getting the house ready and all the things that goes with that plus add in Insurance, 6 months of Prescriptions, getting the RV and the Toad (the car towed behind the Motor Home) serviced and ready to go and a lot more.

On Sunday Sept 1st we finally hit the road after a stop for a surprise Birth Day party for our friend Gerry.  We left Calgary at about 130pm and headed east towards Medicine Hat, which is in the SE corner of Alberta near the USA border and Montana.

Loaded up and ready to finally hit the road!
After driving through Medicine Hat we headed south to Cypress Hills Provincial Park and camped for the nigh at Elkwater right near the lake.

Cypress Hills Camping - At Elkwater Lake
I must say that for years I have wanted to go down there and it was well worth stopping! A great park with a ton of camping and one would never know you were in the middle of the bald prairie of Alberta! 
I highly recommend this place and we only saw a fraction of it.

The area is surrounded by its own forest. The lake offers a beach or two and a marina. Not knowing much about the place it looks like there is a small village there with year round homes, hiking trails as well as a store and visitors center. I’m sure there is much more to see as well.

Barb & Romeo out for a walk at Cypress Hills
I had my doubts that we would get in as it was a Sunday of a long weekend (Labor Day) but they had two spots left and one was just perfect for us. We pulled in, unhooked the Toad (remember what that is?) and got set up. Now when RVing like boating you can always expect a glitch or two.

As we were setting up I hit the button for the “slide out” section of the living room. It went out but for some reason I checked to see if it would come back in and it wouldn’t! It was stuck!

Not knowing if it was the electric motor or a lack of lubrication we began to pray! I can’t imagine what it would cost to have a RV Repairman come all the way out there to fix this thing! So we continued our set up. Lawn chairs out and relaxation!

The weather was very warm likely into the 80’s F (30 C for you younger folks).

I couldn’t relax so I got my trusty bucket of lubricants out and crawled underneath the motor home and sprayed some penetrating spray into the slides, wheels and crank areas hoping that would free the slide up. I decided to let it sit over night and check the next day to see if it would close again.

Barb cooked up a great meal and we spent the evening under the dark skies with a star show that you just do not see when close to the city. In fact that’s another thing about this park. It’s a night preserve so they protect the nighttime star shows from the lights in the park at night and wow! We could even see the Milky Way!

As with most campgrounds we took out a second mortgage and bought some firewood. As dry as it was, there was no campfire ban! Barb for some reason over the past couple of years felt that she needed to instruct me on how to build a proper campfire?

No matter how many times I remind her of all my years spent in Cubs and Boy Scouts (all the way until after I was 18 years old!) she still seems to doubt my ability in this regard. So I told her she could build the fire! She finally relented and did the dishes and I built the fire. I must say and she finally agreed it was the best campfire that I have ever seen! The fact that the wood was nice and dry sure helped me to win that battle ha-ha!

Years of experience as a Boy Scout helps to build the perfect camp-fire!


Day Two – Monday Sept 2.
Slides, Tomatoes and Passports!

After one of the best sleeps I had in months it was time to rise and what a morning!
I stepped out the door at 8 am and it was cooking hot out! Another nice day!

At about noon we finally packed up. I had earlier gone out and lubed all the gear for the stuck living room slide. Knowing that leaving it stuck open would be a bad thing while we drove down the roads.

Can you imagine going down the highway seeing a Class A motor home with his living room slide open! Add to that it would make poor gas mileage even worse!
Well after lubing it all up with copious quantities, guess what?
It worked and came closed as instructed!

At 2 pm (check out time) we headed over to dump the tanks. We decided not to leave early as there about 5 billion campers lined up all morning in the RV Dump line up. Besides other than flying home for a wedding on October 8th we have no schedule all winter long, so why rush.

Our camp spot from a distance at Elkwater in Cypress Hills.

We hit the road and continued straight south on Hwy 41 to the USA Border and that’s when Glitch 2 occurred. As seasoned travellers 
(our 4th winter away) you would think that we had looked after this? 

Barb was pulling out our Passports and Nexus Cards when she noticed my Passport expires in February! Now it could have been worse… but! Yikes!

The problem will likely occur when we fly home in October for a wedding. On our return flight back to Charlotte, North Carolina they will see that the Passport expires in less than 6 months. I’m not sure how they will react but experience has told us that many countries do not allow air passage when this happens! In fact they will see that I don’t have a return ticket booked to come back to Canada and that will make it worse I am sure.

So the problem is, we are in the USA now and how do we go about getting a new Passport before October (in 5 weeks)? We’ve decided we will make some phone calls and try to apply for one when we get to eastern Canada in a few days. Hopefully they can put a rush on it and mail it to our home and we can then use it to get back to our motor home and car, which we will leave in North Carolina?

Most times when we cross the border we just show our Nexus Cards and many times they don’t even ask us for our Passports. Today they did. What happened next was sort of funny. He asked us the usual questions and then came the fruit and vegetable questions. I think I know what his wife will be preparing for dinner tonight, as we had to turn over a few onions and tomatoes etc. Likely a nice salad ha!

Once we got an hour into Montana we started to notice the heat. At one point when we had stopped the gauge read 115 F! Don’t even ask me what that is in Celsius, I don’t know. We decided its likely reading hot from the pavement. Even so we determined that it was over 95F and likely 100F. The lady in the store said she heard it was going to be at least 95, I’m sure it was 100!

Well, being from Calgary we are not used to that kind of heat. I’m happy to report the motor home did just fine and at least we know the cooling system and air conditioning works well!

My view on the boring road - The Highway of Heat!
We stopped for the night at 8pm Calgary time and it is still cooking hot out but at least there is a slight breeze. You will see in the picture below that we chose to “Boon-Dock” (RV Lingo for not being in a camp ground). As there is no truck stop or Wal-Mart in Glasgow, Montana we parked behind a car wash with two Semi Truckers who are sleeping here too. 

I had to laugh when I got out for a walk and looked back to see our motor home tucked in between these two big Semi Trucks. It reminded me of Thomas the Tank Engine (a children’s show)...
“I Think I Can, I Think I can!”

Parked behind the car-wash in Glasgow
"I think I can - I think I can!"
So as we tuck in for our 2nd night here is our plan. We will continue east bound in the USA and then south down around and past Chicago until we get to the Buffalo, New York area. Barb would like to see Niagara Falls, so we will do a day there. Then we will continue NE inside the USA and then cut north to Quebec City. Once done there into New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. Any thing could happen and change but that’s the plan for the next few weeks.

After that south to New England (Fall Leaves) and see New York City. Continue south and see some sights staying as close to the east coast as we can, heading to Charlotte, North Carolina. We will stay in the Rig (motor home slang) at a friends place for a few days and quickly do our trip home by airline October 8th for one week. After that slowly make our way to the Florida Keys, as far south as we can go. Unless of course the slide gets stuck again (bad joke)!

Day 3, Tuesday Sept  3rd. 
3387 Bugs and One Bird!

You got it! That’s what’s on the front of the motorhome!
The people around here should be happy that we reduced the bug population by so much and by the way we are sorry about the bird!

We started the day off after a dreadfully hot night. Barb slept on the couch next to an open window and I’m sure we both lost weight in the heat last night! After a quick walk around to check things out we moved into the car wash we were parked behind to wash all of yesterday’s bugs from the windshield. I’m sure it’s as bad again tonight.

Travelling east through Montana is about as exciting as southern Saskatchewan but as we got farther into the eastern parts of North Dakota the scenery and the roads improved immensely. It was a bit cooler today at only around 90F.

My Navigator has a nap on the never ending highway of boredom!
Yesterday we averaged about 7.3 miles per US gallon and today we got up to 8 Mpg! Yahoo! I bet you are all as excited as we are about that piece of information.

All went well today with only one little glitch. We almost burnt the motorhome down! More on that in a minute.

Our highlight was stopping at a little town called Rugby ND. If they are telling the truth and as the pictures will show it is the Geographical Center of North America! To me that must mean that it’s half way from the Mexican Border to the top of Canada and half way from the west coast to the east coast. In other words we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere!

Once again we are in the center of it all!

Wake me up when you finish reading all of this!
We stopped for the evening at a small city called Devils Lake. We decided to step it up a bit from last night and stayed at a Wal-Mart parking lot instead of an old car wash. We are very impressed as usual with the surroundings at this Wal-Mart and there are two other Campers here so far.

Most Wal-Marts allow camping over night in their parking lots, as they know we will be in at some point to buy supplies. We appreciate them for that and always try to pay back for this luxury. We have come across the odd Wal-Mart in our travels that doesn’t allow this and our understanding is that it’s the local city By-Laws (ordinance) that forbids it in some towns. They do that in order to protect their campground businesses.

I’m OK with that but when on the highways late I don’t really feel like paying their campground fees especially when leaving in the morning again. Add to that after a full day of driving I’m not really all that energetic and don’t feel much like hooking up the water, sewer and electrical anyhow.
We have a generator for power and carry enough water on board for showers and cooking so we really don’t need it, which brings me to our next story!

After we got into Wal-Mart this evening Barb began to cook dinner and I did my usual walk-around to ensure all was good. I also lock up the Honda (remember it’s a Toad in RV language) and put her to bed for the night. While doing this Barb had the Generator (Jenny in RV language) running to microwave some tasty beans for us.

I noted a smell of gas at the back of the rig (RV language for motor home or trailer and no it wasn't from the beans!). 

Now I had just filled up the gas tank right to the top before we stopped here so naturally I first assumed it was from the fuel tank. On closer inspection I noted a small puddle forming under where the Jenny (Generator) sits in the rig. I knelt down rubbing my index finger in the puddle hoping it wasn’t from an previous dog visit. Low and behold it wasn’t a doggy puddle after all! It was gas!

Upon opening up the lid to the Jenny I determined through expert experiences of days gone by that the leak was in fact coming from the gas line in the Jenny. There was one problem left.

Barb still had one bowl of beans to heat up in the microwave.
So as we counted down the minutes I stood by the off switch for the Jenny in hopes of not having to use our one and only fire extinguisher. We made it! Hot beans for very hungry tummies and the rig didn't blow up!

One always tries to carry as many spares of everything one can think of when travelling in a rig like this. As luck would have it I had all sorts of spare hose clamps except for the proper size on the Jenny’s gas line. 

I will try to get up early in the morning and walk a couple of hundred feet into Wal-Mart (our hosts) and purchase the right clamp which will hopefully fix the fuel leak problem.

Never a dull moment when travelling or cooking with the Messners! 
As I write this... One more motor home pulls in off the highway.

My eyes are getting heavy from a long day on the road. 
I almost forgot! We almost expired (or so Barb thought) heading down the freeway earlier today!

A very stoned (I say that because there is no other logical explanation) young man in a pick up truck pulled out right in front of us this afternoon. Being the trained professional that I am (again) I was able to avoid whacking him with our 12 Ton Bullet whilst blaring the horn.

The horn didn’t even faze him, he slowed after turning in front of us to a near stop! Finally he pulled over to the right shoulder of the four lane to wave us by. Thank you to Fleetwood for putting ABS brakes on these rigs and I hope that's the one and only close call we have on this ten thousand mile journey of North America!

CELL PHONES & INTERNET
On this leg of the journey in the USA we do not have cell phones or internet. We borrow internet when we can (MacDonald's) and hope to check for messages every day or maybe two.

Once we get back into eastern Canada (sometime between Friday and Sunday?) we will have cell service again on our usual Canadian numbers.

Not knowing where we will end up tomorrow... we will travel east through Grand Forks and down through Fargo, North Dakota. 

We want to see if they really talk that way down there! 

If you haven’t seen the movie "Fargo" you must rent it! 
Think of us when you do!
We hope you have a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!