Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 21 – Saturday Sept. 21st – 2013 – Moncton to Nova Scotia.

Well I am quite disappointed!

Yesterday I saw several places that offered Poutine and either we couldn’t stop at that time or I had just eaten and couldn’t squeeze any more in. I was hoping today I would get some in and guess what, none could be found!

We woke up this morning to our other seven campers at Wal-Mart. Had nice chats with a couple of them during our morning coffee on the patio. We decided to make it an early morning to get a good day of travel in so we hit the freeway at 1220pm ha ha.

We spent the afternoon travelling to Nova Scotia. 

Welcome to Nova Scotia!
What a beautiful province they have here! I hadn’t seen an Alberta license plate or met anyone from back home since we left and lo and behold….

As we entered Nova Scotia we stopped at the Welcome/Travel centre on the side of the highway. There we met one couple from Calgary who were doing a similar trip to ours. Shortly after that we met another couple from Calgary who were about to start heading home. I guess when on the road there are two places to find Albertans; one is at the entrance to Nova Scotia and the other is in Arizona!

Along the way we stopped and I had to get a picture of this place. 
If you remember Rugby, North Dakota which was the center of North America, well this place today is the halfway point between the equator and Santa’s home the North Pole. J

I wonder if Santa knows where this place is?
We continued in heading for Halifax. The winds weren’t kind to us and I was only getting 6 to 7 miles per gallon the whole way! 
We even hit another one of those dang Toll Booths; you know how much I hate those things!

We arrived at a place to camp called Hubbard's Beach Campground.
Its just about halfway between Halifax and Lunenburg. 

We will have lots of sights to see while we are here just with those two places! Add to that we hope to take in Peggy’s Cove, Cabot Trail and Cape Breton too. I’m sure others will come up and again I wish we had more time! Only 16 days left before we have to be in Concord, NC for our flight home.

Gas prices weren’t much worse than New Brunswick at only $1.29.9 a liter. I think I set a new record and put in $350.00 worth of gas here! 
I’m hoping that will be enough gas to get the rig back into the good ole USA? Oh well, at least the Gas Station owner will be happy.

Once we got set up at camp here we ran into another couple from Alberta. They hail from up north in Whitecourt. I had family there once. These people just retired in the last two years and have been full-timing it on the road for the last 15 months. Had a nice little visit. They even know a friend of ours who used to live in Whitecourt.

CYCLING ACROSS CANADA!
Our neighbours right beside us had me confused for a bit. They had a tent and a young boy of about 10 years old with them. As they were all there I was wondering where their car was? We got to talking and as it turns out they are from East Vancouver. We know that area well, as we used to live down there in the early 80’s.

I found out shortly thereafter where their car was, at home in Vancouver?

They have two bicycles and a tent. They have been on the road travelling across Canada since April on their bicycles (20 weeks!) and their ten-year-old son is with them! I told them that they are my Heroes and I still can’t get over how challenging and far that must be when you are riding a bike. It would be tough enough doing it on a motorcycle and here we are in a big comfy motorhome!

They seem content and happy and so does their son who has his Lego set with him too. Man, one would have to pack well and make hard decisions on what not to bring with you on a trip like that! They bike into the Halifax Airport tomorrow and fly back home to Vancouver, amazing!

WiFi:
I love these campgrounds that advertise FREE Wi-Fi. 
I think what FREE really means is that it doesn’t work? Although we have had some that do it seems that more don’t? You get a signal so weak it is just enough to tease you! 

Once we get back down to the States we will fire up our state of the art Jet Pack. I haven’t seen these in Canada which is too bad. 
We got our Jet Pack last year and it is smaller than a cell phone and it gives you a mobile router to take with you wherever you go, so long as there is a phone signal.

I can’t believe (likely you can’t either) how well I have done at posting on this Blog this year. I wonder if it will last? 
I might be boring you to death? It must be because I have retired and have no other Internet chores?

Tonight Barb is cooking up a special dinner!
That Lobster we bought the other day! Add butter, huge roasted mushrooms, onions and roasted potatoes. 
Barb should have been a Chef! Hmm!

Life doesn’t get much better than that!
Can you hear them squeal!
This how they cook Lobster commercially.

Tomorrow we will tour Lunenburg and we get to go visit old friends I used to be posted with in the RCMP who have moved back here to their original home area. Now I understand why. It is beautiful here!

Just one of the things that keeps coming back to me in all of our travels and that’s the people that you meet. Interesting people. Everyone (I know I have said this before) is happy and friendly no matter where you come from. Everyone in the campgrounds has one simple interest and that’s travelling and seeing the sights. I guess that’s why they call us all “Happy Campers!”

Everywhere we have been the locals have been real friendly too (except some of the Toll Booth Operators! ha, ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!