Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Saturday, November 2, 2013 – Georgia On My Mind!

SORRY!
I have had a few enquiries lately to see if we were ok and why we haven’t posted anything on the Blog for a while?

All I can say is sorry. I originally felt like I am probably boring people to death and perhaps I am right with some of you. Surprisingly a few have emailed wondering what happened to me!

I didn’t want to lose any more friends!
So I had decided to cut back a bit on posting. For the first month I posted every day, then I started to slow a bit and now even more. My apologies!

Now after having been on the road for two months already I guess I will have to pull up my socks a bit.

I assure you all is well and yes we have been busy touring!

HUNTINGTON BEACH STATE PARK, SOUTH CAROLINA
I can't even remember the dates we stayed here. This camp is in Willmington and just south of Myrtle Beach SC.

The coolest things here were the beautiful birds, the beach a short walk from our site and yes... ALLIGATORS!

Don't ask me what kind of birds these are.
All I know is this one was cleaning his toe nails!

Big Beak!

I think this guy is hunting for clams or something?

This guy needs to put some weight on?

Birders!
A portion of the human spieces that will sit quietly for hours for just one picture of a bird.

These ones are called "Beach Bums."
Walking along the nearby beach at sunset.
One morning we went on a Tour with a guide in the park in regards to those leathery looking monsters of days gone by that just happened to have survived the ice age. They are well and fine down here let me tell you! In fact as we drove into the campground on arrival we saw our first one. He was on a little dirt island in a lagoon just 20 or so feet away from the side of the road in the park.

Here's the first Alligator Warning sign that we saw.
Here's another one, perhaps you can read it.

These guys love to suntan if they feel its a little cool outside. If its cool out one tip is to look where it is sunny and you might just see one.
Suntanning in his little island.
The birds stick close to these guys for protection!
During our tour the guide advised us to keep looking behind us as we walked as they often will come up and cross the little road we were on many times after we walk by. At first I thought he must be joking with us nieve types but he was serious. The scary part about this is that this would mean we would have walked right by them while they were in the bush!
Barb looking through the bushes for Gators.

We found this guy, he's a little one at about 4 feet or so long.

The sides of the little roadway we walked on were covered in dense bush and trees. On either side of this were large ponds. One was tidal salt water from the ocean and the other was fresh water and they like that fresh water better. However they can be and do go to either side.

Put eyes in the back of your head when walking around here!

If you like Swamps you will like it here!

We hadn't walked for very long before we saw our first, live in the wild alligator! He wasn't all that big but when one is advised their jaws slam shut with 1000 pounds of force per square inch size really doesn't matter!

We saw a couple more during this information filled little jaunt and another one swimming across the swamp which left me with a bit of an eery feeling to say the least.

One of my questions of this guide was one I was sure I knew the answer too and that being know. But I had to ask! "Sir, so these Alligators ever come over into the actual campground?"

His answer was yes! Yikes! After hearing that I was sure I wouldn't go outside again especially if it was dark. Perhaps I would just stay inside the motorhome for the rest of our time here and hope they didn't find a way to crawl inside with me?

We have learned now that Alligators won't likely eat you unless;
1. You scare them,
2. They are around 8 feet or larger, (these ones get territorial),
3. They are protecting their nest of eggs,
4. Or....

On another day Barb and I decided to be brave and venture out along Alligator Alley again only this time we would do it alone with no guide to scare me I thought. We only saw one this time and that was enough.

Some other interesting animals at this campground included our friends of which I can only describe as the world's second ugliest and second largest spiders. I hate these things and having them hanging from the trees right in our campsite was enough to make me cancel our plans of having a campfire one evening. I am no arachnophobic but one would have to be insane to not be freaked out over these guys!
Just hanging around in Barb & Jim's camp site.
A close up of one more spider on the road.
I think a car hit him, I hope it didn't wreck the car very bad?

We stayed here a few days and it was truly enjoyable but I wasn't too sad to leave either.
A sunset stroll on the beach.

Freshly washed up onto the sand.

If you like beaches you would love this one!
Another quick story that is somewhat related here. A few days later we saw a dead alligator on the side of the road we were travelling on. An apparent victim of a collision with a car.


Some days we just feel like kids again!


JAMES ISLAND COUNTY PARK.
Located on the south side of Charleston, South Carolina.

James Island was a very nice County Park. Most County & State Parks are nice, add to that they are usually much cheaper too. No Alligators (that we saw?) but oodles of room and a few amenities plus close in to town. Lots of trees and plenty of shade but as the humidity rises that shade doesn’t really help much.

It is starting to get more tropical looking the farther south we come. Big palm type plants and trees. Stuff that most Canadians only see in their living rooms and in atriums!

We haven’t seen much humidity for a couple of weeks but it came back. Even though the temperatures are not really hot (low to mid 70’s F) the humidity is quite noticeable again. Barb notices it in her clothes and the bed sheets. I really notice it when I put my sandals on in the mornings and all day long, they seem wet.

So Much To Do In Charleston. 
One of the things we couldn’t seem to get enough of was the historical architecture of the homes. We had a few trips over to the French Quarter and other areas where we would just walk the residential streets. Homes ranged from the early 1600’s with most from the 1700’s that we saw. Several other areas were like this too. It’s amazing to us that homes can be lived in for so long and be in such nice condition.

Before touring a new city always try to take a tour bus first.
This one is a free downtown city transit bus.

Some of them have plaques outside on the fence or gate telling their story starting with who built them. One home we saw had the longest history of the same family occupying the home since being built hundreds of years ago.
A plaque on one of the newer historical homes.

It reminded us so much of Europe when we toured over there.
Europe or Charleston?
They recycle their homes, which is so foreign to us in Calgary (our area) where we just move when the time comes. Back in our neck of the woods if a home reaches 75 years old it is considered really old! Often times and I am sad to say they just tear them down instead of saving them!

I would imagine that sooner or later the residents have spent a lot of money on these homes. From electrical to plumbing I am sure a lot of money has gone into updates and renovation. Another thing would be the historical homes likely have caveats on them requiring they only be renovated in a certain way with a certain look to keep them authentic.
Note the locked door to the porch. A common style.

Lots of stairs and some of them are straight.

Every street has its own personality.
Note the sidewalks.

Commercial shops and town homes or apartments above.


REAL ESTATE PRICES
It's always been a hobby of mine to watch and look at real estate prices, even before I became a Realtor. A few times now I have been so surprised at how affordable homes are. Even in the decent and nice areas! Sure one can spend as much as they want in the affluent ocean front properties. We could live very large down here in this area!

VARIOUS HOMES & STYLES







These streets are really hard to drive on but make effective speed bumps!


FOOD, FOOD!
As you know this is also one of my hobbies and in fact in recent years has gotten me into trouble from a health side of things. A couple of times we did go out for dinner, snacks and lunches. At worst we hit average but most places were really, really good.
Nothing like a break and a snack!

I tried that famous southern dish “Fried Green Tomatoes” and I’m sorry to say it didn’t do anything for me but Barb loves them. 

Another dish Barb loved was "Boiled Peanuts." I couldn’t stand them! 
It seemed to me like they were left in the bottom of a dark, wet bucket somewhere!

I have no idea... Hahaha
One good restaurant that one needs to try when in the area is Hymans Seafood. This place is highly recommended! 

The Food Network on TV states it is the best seafood in the nation. Southern Living Magazine states it is the best seafood in the south. We learned about it through a friend in North Carolina.

Hymans is well known locally and the food was very good. Line-ups out the door may scare you but the line ups move swiftly and the place is a lot bigger than it looks. The food was very good and I really like the owner’s attitude. In fact he even comes by everyone’s table to make sure they are happy and I am sure they all are like we were. Happy, Happy!

Barb gets a break too after walking way too much!

NAVAL MUSEUM.
In Charleston a great place to visit is called Patriots Point. Here they house 3 Navy ships.
Submarine
Aircraft Carrier

Destroyer

One is an Aircraft Carrier complete with several vintage aircraft on board. I even had lunch there in the Warrant Officer’s Mess.

Another was a Submarine. 
It was a diesel era job (not nuclear) but very cool. It’s amazing how small those things are and how many Sailors you can make live in there! The designers really do have an imagination!

The last ship I toured was a Destroyer.

To learn the ships names and more visit it here at: Patriots Point.org

Rather than tell all the stories I will just post a few photos.
The one thing that kept coming back to me while standing in various locations on these great pieces of machinery was “I wonder what it was like?”

You see my generation grew up watching the TV Shows and movies from this same era from WW11 forward. I want to watch them all over again after being here.

ON BOARD the AIRCRAFT CARRIER 
This would be your bedroom, with all the other guys!

Controls in the engine room down below.

Surgery Room. Ouch!

WW11 Vintage

Note the folding wings.

Flight briefings took place here.

Pilots at Flight Briefing in the very same room.

Watch your head!

Ask me why they use red lights next time you see me.

The Bridge and more are way up there!

F-18

Cool!

Even cooler!

If you see this coming at you it is too late!

Up in the Bridge.

Captain's view of the Flight Deck below.
World War 11, Pearl Harbor, fighting with the Japanese and so on. 
Each one of these had a big place in history. I often considered joining the Navy or Airforce in days gone by and going on this tour brought all those feelings and desires back. 

To be alone inside there, looking and watching. The unique odors, the lighting all while I was standing in there. It just made me even more curious.

Reading the stories on how they did things, where they worked, how they made so many meals in such a small place and even showered or slept. 

Can you imagine cooking three times a day for 3600 hungary Service People! Now add to that, the kitchens are not big nor are the eating areas!
Recruiting Poster from WW11

Don't mess with these guys!

On the Aircraft Carrier they have Dentist and Doctor offices, even a Surgery Suite! I can think of many other locations I'd rather have any of this work done. 

In some ways the colors,the odors and the equipment and feeling reminded me so much of my days in Basic Training for the RCMP. We lived on a base and your time was very rarely your own. Sick Call was at 0800 very much the same as it was on the ship. Sometimes the line ups were too long to bear. If you were really sick you brought a bucket with you.

I remember being in the Base Hospital in bed for 3 days as the result of a story I wont bore you with. In a haze I looked over at the TV in the room and there it was live. The Space Shuttle had blown up with all the crew aboard. I will never forget that feeling nor that day.

It must have been very challenging on those ships I am sure. At the same time the designs were simply genius! I can't imagine but they could build one of these in 16 months! They had them war ready that fast!

That likely doesn't mean that much to you right now sitting and reading this. If you ever get the chance go tour one. The mazes of hallways, tunnels, sleeping quarters, engine rooms and so much more. Add in the bakery (keep those men happy!) the missle tubes, decks, the bridge and yes, even the Captains Quarters. Shear genius!

THE SUBMARINE


The Missle Room.
The Missle Guys sleep on these bunks with their missles!
Would you like to sleep here?
Actually these bunks drop down a few inches.

Working in here you become intimate with your weapons!

The On-Board Officers Mess
Officers Bunks

Enlisted Men's Mess

Missle Tubes

THE DESTROYER


Burgers for lunch!





I spent 4 hours or so at Patriots Point but could have easily spent 8 or ten hours there. I hope to find more of these and tour them. I also hope to be able to watch more about these brave people and their machines on History Television!

FARMER'S MARKET
We went to a Farmer’s Market last weekend and hung around the park that it was held in. Something that I hadn’t done in years was to lie down in the grass and just close my eyes. The weather was perfect for a nap although it was much too short. I will have to try this again.
Shopping for healthy farm fresh food!

Jim's nap in the park.


CANADIAN You Say?
One doesn’t see too many Canadians down here. 
It seems that they are usually just passing right through even if you do see one. They stick to the main highways going south such as I-95. We did meet a nice couple from Winnipeg, Manitoba who pulled in at the site right across from us just a couple of days before we left. They will be making their way south into Florida and then back to Arizona for Christmas where they own a Park Model in Yuma.

I was able to enjoy a couple of total relaxation days, which I really love to do now and then. Call it decompressing or whatever. I just stay home at the rig, read or explore on the Internet learning about certain topics. Sometimes I even doze off for a few minutes. After over 6000 miles most of which were done in a short time I like this R&R stuff!

Often when I am doing this Barb is out and about. No we are not breaking up and no we are not weird. We do a lot of things together on these trips. However Barb knows that when I need down time she should just give it to me. I love her for that too!

So when I'm R&Ring it, she's often out sight-seeing or shopping. She has really changed in the last year or so and doesn't do much shopping anymore unless its for groceries or supplies. So she is usually finding out things about the area and bringing me over to the cool highlights later on.

We have a deal... That is, I do the driving in the Motor Home and for the most part Barb does the driving in the car when we go out sight seeing, shopping or touring. It works really well.

We almost went to a movie one night but decided we were too tired even though it was an early movie! Instead we stayed home and completed one exciting chore that took over two hours! We sanitized and flushed out our Fresh Water Holding Tank! Doesn’t that sound like fun to you too! 

Seriously, we decided we needed to not put it off any longer so chalk one up to the get er’ done board! If this tank were to ever get infected it could make one very sick and or kill you! So we thought what the heck lets do it.

TV Shows.
We are usually limited to what we can watch on TV as we have decided to not get a Satellite Dish. We do have an add-on to the antenna which often gets us a few channels over the airways and I’m usually quite surprised how clear they are. So some nights we will watch a little TV and once in a blue moon we may even rent a video from Red Box. We also have NetFlix and Apple TV but we don't usually bother with it.

Most nights we hit the hay by about 11pm but some nights that may extend up till midnight! The trouble is I have noticed lately my sleep in problem has gone away! I was suffering for a few years with waking up anywhere from 530am to 7am even when I had no reason! I love the quiet mornings with my coffee, especially when it is nice outside. A bad habit I picked up from my working days I suppose?

Now however I think I have been healed!
With the exception of yesterday I have been easily sleeping in to 9 am! It’s a weird feeling because before you know it the day is gone and it gets dark so early down here! It’s usually very dark by 730pm and then I start yawning as my brain thinks it must be 10pm. 

When I look around the camp areas it appears I am not the only one that is afflicted with this. Many are gone to bed early and quite a few seem to sleep in late. Maybe it's because they are all old people? I must be normal? Maybe?

NEW TV?
One thing we have been considering for the last year and even more so now is changing out our TV’s. We have two TV’s in the rig. One is in the living room and the other is in the Master Bedroom. Ha, you must know we only have one bedroom, so I call it the master just to have fun!

At any rate our current TV’s are the old style prior to the flat screens of today. They weigh about 400 tons each and are the old big square jobs. 

We are thinking a better picture would be nice and perhaps TV’s that can run on both 12 Volt (RV Battery’s when we are dry camping) or when we are plugged in at 110V.  A lot of renovating of the TV cabinets will be required so I am not sure I want to tackle this while we are on the road but time will tell.

RIG MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS.
I think I have mentioned this before but owning a RV is similar in many ways to owning a boat. It always needs some form of work!

The other night we had a bit of rain and in the morning I noticed the carpet on the floor is wet in my bedroom? I think its coming in somewhere around the slide (The Bedroom slides out). I have yet to find the problem.

Another issue is that I have been planning on replacing the “Toppers.” These Topper things are similar to Awnings and they sit over the top of the slide out rooms to protect them from leaves, debris and rain water. It’s next on the list when I can find a place with a reasonable price. This will likely get done in Arizona where a lot of deals can be found on RV things.

There are a few other things coming up for maintenance and repair as well. I wont bore you with all of these too but suffice it to say that if you want to own an RV be prepared to be handy and good looking too! J

Add to this if you are going to live in the RV for a continual period of time like we are doing that will just add more chores to the list. I’m not complaining but just saying either be handy or spend money when it needs to be spent!

The State of Travel!
These are the States we have hit so far.
Next stop is Georgia! 

GEORGIA THEN FLORIDA
We are meeting with our oldest daughter Natalie and her family which includes her husband Neal and our two Grandkids Asher and Finnley. The meet has been set up for Orlando, Florida and yes it appears we will be hitting the highlights including Disney World!

We have rented two condos and have arranged to park the motorhome while there. Can’t wait to see them and have a whole week of visiting, playing and old fashioned fun!

FLORIDA KEYS
After that we plan on heading to the Florida, Keys. This was one of the big things I wanted to do in a trip like this one. I have always wanted to go down there for a number of things to do and see.

The problem with this idea is that most camping places are already all booked up for the winter season! My heart is broken! Why did we not know or think of this before?

Barb found us one place for 4 nights so far so we will see how it goes. That might be a short visit with so much to see and do down there! The beaches are so white just like the Caribbean; I really wanted to camp there for a few weeks! L


We have had palm trees and beaches for a while now on this trip. Sometimes we are camped right there beside them and other times not so close, but that’s ok too! I love just knowing they are nearby. 

To be honest sleeping beside or on the beach is problematic. It is noisy and one needs ear-plugs! The reason being is the waves lapping up on the shore. It sounds peaceful and romantic. But until you try it one does not realize how noisy waves can be! So bring ear plugs and then be prepared to get the best sleep with the freshest air on earth!

But before we do all that we are heading to Georgia next!
Savannah, Georgia is on my mind!

More news to come later!
Cioa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!