Thursday, November 21, 2013

KEY - LIFE!

I don't know where to start since my last post but I will try to keep this one simple.

More Reptiles!
The other day we went into town to get some supplies (food!) on the way back we saw at least 6 of what I will call Iguanas. They were sunning themselves on the side of Highway 1 which is the main road up and down the keys. Some of them were fairly large about the size of a big house cat and then add their tails to that.

Haven't seen any Alligators since being on the Keys but we know they are here. They also have their relatives the Crocodiles living down here with them. Supposedly they won't bother you unless you scare them or surprise them which I hope doesn't happen. I may have said this before that a full grown one of these has a bite of 1000 lbs per square inch!

I think I mentioned a couple of weeks back that we did see a Turtle at one of our campsites. I tried to get a good picture but he was just too fast for me!
Faster than a speeding Hare!
Click to enlarge.
We also saw some turtles swimming in the pond behind our condo in Orlando. I felt sorry for them as any time someone stopped to feed the birds the poor turtles would come also. The birds (Ducks included) were mean to the turtles and even stepped on their heads to get to the food first!

Snakes are apparently fairly common in Florida too. I like them as about as much as I like large furry spiders so thankfully we haven't seen one yet. Out of all the varieties here only 6 types are poisoness!

If you want to learn more about the reptiles and other beasts that are living in our area go to this link: FLORIDA BEASTS AND REPTILES

MANATEES.
You likely know what these are but if you don't visit the link above and you will find info on them along with photos. Called the Cow of the Sea these are very cool looking creatures and endangered too.

Yesterday we went out in a canoe to see if we could find one.
Leaving from the park where we are camped we headed out like real sailors on our venture into who knows where. Barb had a map which proved at times to not be very useful especially on the way back home!

At times we crossed into canals that made me feel like we were on the Amazon River. The mangroves were growing on both sides and very close together. I'm thankful I didn't learn until later that some snakes like to live in these water laden bushes as we ran into some of them a few times when our turns weren't as quick as they should have been.

We wandered in and out of the canals until we ended up in a residential district where the homes are on the canals. What a site! I could easily live in one of these homes with awesome covered patios, some with Palapas, concrete docks, boat lifts and more. I didn't take a camera with me but wish I had so I could share all that we saw.

As we continued on looking for our Manatee friends we ended up in and out of these residential canals and then down a main one that heads back out to the ocean although we never did see it. After a couple of hours we decided we had better start heading back home.

A problem developed at this point as the tide was going out and we were going in! Although it didn't look like much on the surface I will state my arms did get very tired after a bit. We had to take a few breaks on the way back home.

The sun was beating down on us so at times we tried to find shade and a few times stopped in same next to the mangroves that were growing up out of the water like wet little forests.

We never did find our Manatee's but we did see crabs and all sorts of fish from guppy size to good 10-12 inch tropical types. We also found quite a few Jelly Fish along the way.

At one point a larger fish swam by, Barb thought it was some kind of Catfish but I am sure it was a small Shark.
It swam like a Shark, was very dark colored and had the same features and fins as a Shark.

It reminded me of the first time I had rented a boat with a few of the guys out off the coast of Vancouver when I lived there. We shouldn't have been out there as we had no idea what we were doing other than fishing. We didn't even have a pair of pliers we just bought some bait, rented rods and went. Amongst other things we caught a few of these smaller Sharks which ended up in our boat as we had no way of removing the hooks!

The canoe trip was a good workout and a great way to see some of the views one wouldn't normally get to experience. Ocean Kayaks might be next.

The rest of our time has been spent mostly relaxing or coming into the house for a quick break and some air conditioning.
Walking the beach is fun as there is always something washed up that is interesting to look at.

I FINALLY FOUND IT!
The other day (I may have mentioned) I thought I had found a Breast Implant which had washed up onto the shore. It looked different than any of the Jelly-Fish that we had seen so what else could it be?

As it turned out, on my Beach-combing tour today I found the other implant!

I guess it really was a Jelly Fish?
We don't touch these things to find out as it always means a trip to the Doctor or Hospital.

Our evenings have been filled with reading and exploring on the Internet which has been great for learning about things around here. I can't remember the last night we watched any TV.

As I sit here now I can hear the waves gently coming ashore. Most times it is a calm as a lake with no wind to speak of.

Its 10pm now and I would say its likely 80F with a very high humidity. We are going to try and sleep tonight without the air conditioners on. (we have two in this rig) I don't think it will last.

Today we went into town again so that I could get some "Water Walking" type shoes and a new pair of sandals. Oh... and Barb finally got her way and I gave in and bought Thongs.

No ladies I don't wear those!

I am told I have to change the name because society has a new meaning for that word now. So I got a pair of Flip Flops which I haven't worn since I was a little kid. They are a bit hard to get used to but feel quite a bit cooler on the hot Florida baked feet. Can you actually imagine me in a Thong - hahaha!

We BBQed a great steak dinner the night before last and tonight we did up some fantastic Veggie Burgers. I tell you that if you didn't already know you would be sure these things are beef! I love BBQing in the white sand in my bare feet, it just adds to the whole experience.

By the way if you ever want a small BBQ for your RV make sure to buy a Weber. Everybody uses them now and there is a reason.

My RV Tip of the day: 
Get a Weber with the thermometer on the lid and two folding side tables. These work very well!

KEYS REAL ESTATE.
On another topic I am surprised how low house prices are down here still. I know Florida was hit hard by the recession. You would be surprised on what you can get for what we call Calgary prices.

NEWS
I have been going most days without even wearing a watch. This is a big thing for me! Add to that I am finally getting more used to being retired.
Its not over yet, sometimes I do get bored. However I digress.

I don't normally check the News for days at a time anymore due to several reasons all of them personal.

As of late though the best News is about Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto. That guy just never quits! At first I felt sorry for him (a little) as he wasn't smart enough to stop but he has just gone too far now.

The late night TV, Talk and Comedy shows down here are having a hey-day with this guy and all of his free comedic material coming their way.

He is big news down here and it makes me proud to be Canadian!
I know most Americans like Canadians and they know that Mr. Ford is just one more loser that could have lived almost anywhere. I look forward to tomorrow's news for some comic relief thanks to Big Rob of Ford Nation!

One more thing, Barb says I'm starting to look Cuban?
I don't think so!

Just another good looking Beach Bum wearing Thongs! :)

Jim without his Thong on!

A neighbour caught some fish with a net.

Home Sweet Home!

I hope you can see the different colors of the waters.
The relaxing view out our living room window.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!