Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wild Monkeys in our Campground! - Jan. 16th, 2014.

When Natalie (our oldest daughter) was about 5 years old I took her camping with me out to an area at the base of the Rocky Mountains.

At one point we were sitting at the dinner table eating cookies. For some reason (that still escapes me) I knocked on the bottom of the table with my hand in a fashion similar to knocking on a door.

Natalie asked me "what is that noise?"
Without thought I replied its the Monkeys, they must want our cookies?

That began a family story that lasted for some time and we still laugh at it today because at the time Natalie being so young actually believed it.

I did advise her that the Monkeys were friendly (won't hurt us) but that we shouldn't go outside as they will want our cookies!

We are currently camped at a State Park just on the outskirts of Ocala, Florida at a place called Silver Springs. We are here for three nights and hit the road again tomorrow.

I just found out that there are hundreds of wild Monkeys here!


Wild Monkeys at Silver Springs State Park!

Its not a joke!
Actually a friend told me about this the other day before we got here and I thought he was pulling my leg!

This morning Barb confirmed the story after reading it somewhere and I just googled it now as I still wasn't quite sure that I believed it.

After seeing Alligators and having them near our campground in a few different places, having seen warning signs for Panthers, Bobcats, Racoon's, Bears and other animals we can now add Monkeys to our list of neighbors!

Click the Link and read the attached article if you still don't believe me?

Monkeys in our Campground - Tampa Bay News

2 comments:

  1. We have monkeys all over South Africa, that will attempt to join your table for what ever you are eating... love this post.. nice story, Popped over here from LuAnn's post..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I would have expected it in South Africa and then may be even share food with them! :) We just didn't expect it here. Life is always full of surprises and most times we enjoy them! Make it a GREAT DAY! Jim

      Delete

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!