Monday, January 13, 2014

Barb Dodges A Bullet - A Very BIG Bullet!

On Saturday, January 11th, at about 1pm we were driving in Bradenton (near Tampa Bay) on a main artery heading westbound to go see some sights on Anna-Maria Island.

Barb was driving our Honda CRV, I was in the front passenger seat and our 3 friends Angela, Bree and Brian were in the back seat.

It was a four lane road with a turn lane in the center which we call the suicide lane. Traffic was typical for a Saturday, fairly heavy with lots of people out and about.

A car that was eastbound (coming towards us) came across the center of the road right at us! Now you need to understand this happened in a split second with very little time to react!

As the car veered towards us (I could clearly see him looking at us) Barb took evasive action and swerved into the right lane trying to avoid what would have been a head-on collision.

Her quick actions certainly avoided a nasty accident and likely some injuries to go with it, I am very proud of her, Barb was our Hero!

After swerving into the right lane Barb swung back to the left to avoid hitting the sidewalk (on the right) and I remember hearing the tires on our car squeal. I also remember thinking I can not believe that car did not hit us! There were various gasps and screams coming from the people in our car during all of this.

Barb brought our car to a stop and just as the car went past us I looked back to see the car sideswipe the car directly behind us and then hit the next car head on! There was debris scattered all over the place and a horn on one vehicle was blaring as if it were stuck.

Barb quickly parked the car and I ran back to the scene to ensure everyone was OK. An off duty EMT also stopped to help. I saw the driver of the offending vehicle as I recognized him from when he was coming towards us prior to the collision. He had just got out of his car via the back door. His and the other two cars were pretty much totalled.

I decided that it would be best to stay with him until the police arrived which took some time. Others were attending to the needs of the injured. Their injuries were minor however one elderly man was taken to the hospital as a precaution and to get a deep cut on his arm repaired.

It is always in the back of my mind when we do these trips that something like this may occur and that we need to be really defensive and observant when driving. I didn't expect it this day.

If you haven't been in an accident before or a near miss like this one you will not believe how fast it all happens! The two cars that were hit behind us didn't stand a chance and likely didn't even see it coming.

In this case the offending driver didn't even hit the brakes prior to the two collisions and likely hit them both at full force. The speed limit at the scene was 40 mph (60kph).

I am so proud of Barb. Her reactions were awesome and it proved that her years of driving experience paid off. Her being attentive saved us big time and like I said earlier I am sure one or more of us would have sustained some injuries. Below are some photo's of the scene.

The offending car is the tan one on the right side.

A closer view, the wheel and suspension of the car on the right was torn
right off after he hit the 1st vehicle which is back to the right - not in this photo. 
The Driver of the offending vehicle on his cell phone.
He didn't care about the people he hit and refused to take responsibility.
Further, he didn't have a drivers license and said it wasn't his car either.
I stood with him in case he made a run for it.
As one would expect we were a little bit upset at what had occurred.

While feeling bad for the others we thank the Good Lord we weren't one of the vehicles that he had hit!

2 comments:

  1. Okay that last photo practically killed me.

    You gave up your badge but I don't think you'll ever give up the job :)

    So glad you guys are safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help to make sure he didn't run. He had all the markings of a runner. No license, stoned and said it wasn't his car (stolen?). At any rate I kept him busy and he stayed until the police came. I couldn't have even kept up to him if he ran but a quick move with the arm or leg may have prevented it? hahaha We are ok, all a little shaken up to say the least. Hope the others recover quickly. Man was it ever close. I made Mom run back to the car to mke sure he didnt hit us as he went by, it was that close. :)

      Delete

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!