Monday, October 21, 2013

Tuesday October 15th, 2013 – Flying Back to the USA

Before I get to our flight back home I have a little story...

On our way down to see our friends (the Wallace's) who live just outside of Charlotte, NC we as earlier noted, drove through several states from New York and Jersey City.

One of my highlites was going down this little paved country road and seeing a sign for Martinsville (Virginia) - 40 miles!

Barb didn't know the significance of this but it has always been one of my favorite historic NASCAR race tracks. So we continued on and get this - The track was right in town on the same road we were on!

As we drove by the track a race was on!
There were Police & Sheriff's everywhere for traffic control and tons of cars parked there. I said to Barb "this is just too good to be true!"

I went down the street and turned the rig around and went back to the track. We pulled in following the signs for parking. Then we saw a sign for camping so we followed those. We drove in right past the camping registration, there was no one there. Next thing I know we are in the camping area behind the back straight-a-way and able to watch the race that was on. It wasn't perfect but it was free!
Martinsville - A Historic NASCAR Race Track!
This was incredible timing for Jim! 
Barb fired up the oven and baked a pizza and I watched the last bit of the race and it was over. Thank you Martinsville!
When you love NASCAR as much as Jim does - WOW!
The end of the race.

CALGARY TO CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA!
Our flight today (October 15th) was at 7am, which means one has to be at the airport at 5am! I’m not sure but I am wondering if this should be illegal!

After we thought about it for a bit we decided to stay at a hotel near the Calgary airport so that we didn’t have to drive in from Cochrane at such an ugly hour. So we stayed at the Acclaim Hotel, which wasn’t too bad. It always amazes me - the price they charge! I know I’m whining!

So we got up at 430am at the hotel and got the 5am shuttle over to the airport down the road, which worked out very well. I love my NEXUS Card! It sure makes things easier with Customs and Immigration.

While we were back home for the week it was a bit of a Rat Race. 
It didn’t help that we were tired out by the time we got there. Must be something to do with aging? On the first day home I had to rush to downtown Calgary to get a new Passport ordered. 

I had realized while we were already in the US last trip that mine expires in February! Yikes! Dummy me; didn’t notice, so of course an extra fee was charged for the rush on the new passport. At any rate this time I was able to get a ten-year passport and they had it ready at 12 noon on Friday as promised. The Canadian passport system has come a long way over the years, I can remember waiting months back a few years ago!

After that lets just say there was lots going on with family visits, Doctor appointments and more. But it was still very enjoyable even though we were pooped out!

We went to a wedding and I (Jim) was the M.C. 
The wedding was a great time. Seeing old friends and the views from the Gleneagles Golf Course of the Rocky Mountains are spectacular! The Bride a daughter and friend looked spectacular and so was the wedding! We had a great time.

The beautiful Bride and her Father coming down the isle!

The views from here (our Home) at Gleneagles Golf Course.

The Wedding Car!
Tim's beautifully restored 1971 GMC.
We had a couple of great visits with family too. Right before we left for the Calgary hotel we were invited to a neighbor party with friends on our little street and that was the icing on the cake to a great week!

Nothing like flying on air miles though!
We have American Airlines Air Miles. We have used it for several years now through our Visa Card purchases. It’s a great way to get cheap flights all over, especially to the USA, Mexico and Europe. It helps a lot when you have a limited budget and want to travel like we do.

The funny part is with their system it seems we always have to fly through Dallas/Fort Worth to get anywhere. It doesn’t matter where you are going or coming from DFW will likely always be on your list of stops.

So this time we fly out at 0700 from Calgary down to DFW. We have roughly a 3 hour lay over there and then fly to New York with a quick change of less than an hour and then land at Charlotte, NC our final destination. 

It makes one wonder if there are a group of dedicated individuals in a back room somewhere dreaming all of this up? Fly here, fly there and then there and oh yea, we will get you to your destination at the end of it all! I guess I shouldn’t complain at the $70.00 round trip.

One thing I am really grateful for is that I’m not any bigger than I am.  
I am certain they have worked diligently with the fishing industry in order to make this all work. What I mean is that they certainly are getting better at squeezing more seats in the planes every time one flies. Sardines anyone!

You always see the commercials and the ads where the happy flying client is seated doing work or viewing a movie on their lap top – right? The reality is that unless they paid huge dollars for first class there is no way this is going to happen!

When seated I cannot even get my laptop to open so that I can see the screen! 

There’s not enough room to barley even read a newspaper. Add to that unless you weigh 140 lbs. these seats just don’t fit. It makes you feel like a football player! Even at my size I am twice as wide at the shoulders as these seats are!

Then if you happen to get a meal which on most flights is a thing of the past. Try using a knife and fork! With your elbows tucked in as far as possible and the plate directly below your chin you can’t even see the meal you are about to eat! Maybe that’s a good thing?


So after Thanksgiving weekend let me just say I am thankful I am this size and no larger. Big people probably would rather drive than fly even if it were 3000 miles away!

The other thing that makes me laugh is carry-on luggage.
Since most airlines now seem to charge extra for the first piece of luggage the size of the carry-on luggage is growing at a rate faster than China's population! Some of the ladies have carry-on that is so big they can't even lift it up into the overhead storage bins. Other's seem to be carrying their spouse in some of those bags they are so big. I just love it when I get a seat near the back and there is no room left for my petite little bags!

The other thing I love is sitting in an isle seat. It is more comfy most of the time because at least you have one elbow and shoulder in its natural position. However it seems just as one is able to doze off a little bit someone comes down the isle and bang! The isles are too small, the seats aren't wide enough and well I guess it just helps the airline to make more money?

After a while I feel like I'm a third class passenger in the basement holes of the Titanic just before she sinks! There's no room for normal sized people and no one will let me out!

If I didn't have to re-mortgage my house every time I flew I would certainly fly in First Class. Since I am now retired I have to face it, budgets while travelling are everything. I have been blessed to be able to live this lifestyle and I shouldn't be complaining (reminding myself again!) :)

We finally made it. After two flight changes amongst all the running around and airports it felt like we had travelled to Europe and back again. Jennifer, Jerry and Jacob picked us up at the Charlotte airport and off to bed we went after a quick visit.

Back at our Home at the Wallace Acreage
in Mount Pleasant, North Carolina.
Yes the windows have to be cleaned Jim!
In all seriousness, we have nothing to complain about but it's clear to both of us we are not teen-agers anymore.
Good night y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!